Monday, January 11, 2010

Indurated Heart

I am not a vocabulary whiz, but I am pretty well-versed when it comes to unusual words and their meanings, but the word prompt at OSI this week really had me stumped. The word was "indurated" which I looked up and found out means "hardening." With that known...here is my haiku:


your lack of response~
indurated thoughts of you
what happens; happens...

(Isn't it funny how a personal situation can be the source of so much poetic "fodder" and material...here's to blessing in disguise!)





This picture was taken Sat. at Brookfield Zoo by Mike. The look on the gorilla's face sums up the word indurated in 1 mighty look!

21 comments:

Ragamuffin Gal said...

I really love your sense of humor and your haikus ~ You are amazing and I love visiting your blog to see what you will write next!
Blessings!

Jon Lee said...

I love your haikus. I also love that picture of the gorilla. It goes perfectly with the haikus. Will you be at Inspired Needle on the 19th?

Jon Lee

Sherri B. said...

I can't write one word of poetry unless it's personal, so I can definitely relate to what you're saying. Great haiku, and the photograph compliments it perfectly!

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, it does! Terrific photo and haiku - I love the line 'what happens; happens...'

Keke said...

That haiku is awesome! The picture makes me giggle!! LOL! I hope your well! XO Keke

Laura said...

I love haiku!!!! This one is quite apt. Love the gorilla too! The zoo on a winter day must be very cool. No punt intended.

Karin said...

Love it! Well said....

See you Sunday?!

Rita said...

He looks indurated ok! I don't think that I would want to meet him in a dark alley! Ha! Glad that you got to go! That's so much fun!

beth said...

great photo....and I would have had to look that word up too....

yes...life gives us what we need to write poetry...more often than we even realize....

SandyCarlson said...

Can't even tell you how deeply I feel this one and how glad I am you wrote it.

zoya gautam said...

a very well written haiku

many thanks ..

Keke said...

Patti,

I'm doing a small invitation only Valentines swap, I don't know what you have going on but was wondering if you would be interested. It will be a one on one swap that includes approx 8 people....A match box filled with yum yums and then of course a vintage valentine, authentic or replica snazzied up with glitter etc...I don't have your email, can you email me and let me know if this sounds like something you would like to do? If all 8 doesn't jump in then I was thinking maybe with 5 we could do 5? (It would be fun to have 4 or 5 lined up! But I want everyone's feedback on that...) I don't know... just ideas throwing around, I want it to be small yum yum fun that wouldn't cost anyone too much resources, time, $ etc...also, I'm begging everyone to not say yes unless...I hate that obligated feeling and wouldn't want to do it to my family or friends...LOL let me know...
exponentialwoman@yahoo.com
XO Keke

one more believer said...

a most entertaining post...the expression of animals is always amusing in getting a msg across...

Mlu said...

Patti
Your photo and haiku are equally outstanding!!! The haiku sounds personal...what happens; happens.
(Que sara sera- Doris Day??)
Mlu

Jeeves said...

:D

Nice haiku and picture also ;-)

Beth P. said...

Big smiles...I know that look. The only thing that will make me smile when I'm in that hardened place is a good poem or a good laugh,both of which you brought here to this post!

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Yep, he is not moving. Nicely done.

Melanie

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful haiku
and post
isn't it all personal...

thank you

SandyCarlson said...

I just read your comment on my blog. I am sorry about the loss of that young person's life. I am sorry that child left this world feeling like he didn't belong. That breaks my heart.

God bless.

Jim said...

Hi Patti, I was a new word for me also. I think it's nice to write about what we know. And it doesn't alway have to be 'us' in the poem because most of these things are fairly universal.
After being hurt in a surprise divorce I remarried after three years of happy bachelorhood. When Mrs. Jim and I married my attitude outward was newly wed bliss but inside I was wary, 'what happens; happens...' The first two lines DNA.
Yours fits so many of us we could use it as our epitaph. Thank you.
..

gabrielle said...

Oh, I know that look. The haiku was really as good as it gets. Thanks for the melting your "indurated heart" precipitated.