A lot of this weekend was spent creating on different projects. From editing digital pictures for yearbook to lots of cross stitch time to stamping and card making no matter what I am doing, I am constantly reminded of my Dad. Although he was a Principal and later an Asst. Superintendent and held down a variety of part time jobs ( from "Bag Boy" at the local grocery store to a bartender)he was always working on a project (or 2 or 3). He loved being creative and the things he liked to create ranged from needlepoint to cross stitch to sewing to cooking and baking. It didn't bother him at all that what he liked to do were not always considered "masculine" and he was never without a project wherever he went. Lots of these creations ended up as gifts for me and my sister and they are true treasures today. So, my Dad was my inspiration for the
OSI prompt "blowing the curve." My haiku is simple but behind it is much love and thankfulness I inherited my dad's creativity gene! Please stop over at OSI to see other's creations of the prompt.
special treasured giftsmy Dad created for me
blow the curve for men
The book below was a special Christmas gift. My Dad had seen something similar in a specialty catalog and thought he could dupliate it. He collected flowers from relatives' houses that we visited one summer, pressed those flowers and created the book for me. It was packaged in a brown velvet pouch he made.

17 comments:
how sweet the memories....
and those wrapped gifts are yummy !
Wonderful creations!!!Lovely poem
That's a beautiful tribute to your dad and a beautiful post. Sounds like a super weekend, Patti.
Patti,
Those are beautiful treasures. Your haiku is lovely as well. I also enjoyed the fabulous pictures from your last post. I need to go to work earlier. I hope I see you at Inspired Needle.
Those gifts from your Dad are truly treasures of the heart. What a wonderful craftsman and artist he was. And your haiku is a classic. So funny!
Dear Patti--
This post explains a lot about your multi-layered creativity: it did NOT come from the postman!!
I loved it that your dad blew the curve...gives me hope!
Lovely, lovely, lovely--
Patti,
truly beautiful memories from your dad and how wonderful to have these keepsakes made by him to treasure!
Very, very special!
Your haiku seems to capture your dad's essence perfectly. Wonderful gifts and sentiment he gave to you!
Patti, these are wonderful momentos you have from your dad. Your mom was special too if she saved them for you until you could keep them safe yourself. That 1980 would have been thirty years ago.
..
Oh yes, your verse is nice too! :)
..
How wonderful to have a dad like that and to have such sweet memories! Your poem does him an honor. I hope he can see it wherever he is.
how fabulous that he could and did express his fondness in such beautiful ways.
Wonderful! What a treasure - and it appears that you've inherited the creativity gene!
I admire men that aren't afraid to do things that others think are "girl" things to do. I had a friend that did some great cross stitch work and it didn't bother him a bit. My granddad made me a wooden box that is not "pretty" per say, but I would not take a million dollars for it. It is a treasure, just because he took the time to do it for me! Enjoy your "treassure" from your dad!
Never met your dad, but I KNOW I would have really liked him!
You are SO lucky!
That is the nicest sentiment, how lucky you were to have such a dad...so unusual, so beautiful. The very vintage Valentine pkgs look amazing, your such an awesome swapper! I'm glad things seem to be well for you. Have a great weekend!
XO Keke
.. thank u for sharing these memories ..
a lovely tribute indeed ..
I love these peaks into your heart.
Post a Comment