Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beginnings

Beginnings always seem so daunting-
they are like that you know...
tantalizing and teasing-
pulling me in,
seducing me with
the dreams ...
the expectations ...
the possibilities ...
goading me to take that first step
sometimes whether I am ready to
or not.
But...
What if I can't do it?
What if I fail?
How do I deal with the uncertainty
of not knowing how this beginning will end?
Is there a do-over if this doesn't work?
But- wait-
What if the beginning ends?
(they always do)
Then what?
I will have already surrendered myself to this
beginning-
made that choice (but sometimes it's not a choice, is it?)
to start something new~
I need to remember
that every beginning offers a chance
for growth and change
to let go
let be
and just begin (feet first)
but regardless of what happens
I need to believe
that I'm right where I am supposed to be-
beginning....



What if my alarm doesn't go off and I'm late?
What if I didn't get as much work done as I was supposed to?
What if they don't like me?
What if I don't like them?
What if they laugh at me?
What if it looks like I don't know what I'm doing?
What if I make a mistake?
What if they think I dress weirdly?
What if they don't listen to me?
What if I am not important enough to them?

"Every beginning is some other beginning's end". Just yesterday it was the beginning of summer and today marks the beginning of the last week before the school year starts. You just can't run from beginnings, can you? There's always a new one somewhere. The beginning of a school year is wrought with anxiety not only on the part of some of the kids but on the part of the teachers too. We always have those "back to school dreams"- mine started in July, focusing on one catastrophe after another with the theme being loss of control. Lovely. Anyway- summer is ending, a new year is beginning- as it always does- and after 26 1/2 years teaching, I still get nervous and can't/won't sleep the first few nights of school. Monday will be the day to go in and organize my room and look for everything I crammed away last June. Maybe the "Room Fairies" will have visited and I will walk into organization- right- definitely not in my realm of possibilities. My reality will be boxes everywhere, furniture everywhere, no clue to where anything was shoved, and the air conditioner and pop machine not working. Here's to Beginnings...

10 comments:

Laura said...

Wishing you a very wonderful school year!!!! I know you will work through all that this beginning brings and come out the other side shining!

Rita said...

I hope your beginnings of this school year will be the best yet. I was always so excited when school would start. I loved it when I could get a new plaid dress to start it in!

SandyCarlson said...

I hear you on this one, Patty. I've been taking the "it's all going to be fine" approach and not looking back. I am going on the advice Julia Child gave when dealing with a mistake in the kitchen: just keep going. It's all we can do.

And then you and I will have all those lovely distractions to deal with shortly!

Mlu said...

It is the beginning of the end....but wasn't it a great one?
Unfortunately, all good things must end and summer vacation is always one of the most difficult to say adios to....until June 2011..... :-)

beth said...

i would love to be a room fairy....wouldn't that be such a nice surprise to give someone ?

Amity said...

The many ifs Patti, but I do believe that being brave enough will push us to believe in ourselves that we can do it and does we begin again!

Whatever our attempts will bring us, let us be courageous, because who knows, what is in store for us is something we didn't expect it to be glorious!

I love this poem Patti! beautiful thoughts from you as ever! Hugs!!!

Ramesh Sood said...

At this moment I am living the first moment of the rest of my life.. it's always a beginning for the good Patty..as long as we breath its' a new beginning.. and afterwards.. it's anyway going to be.. so cheers.. have a great time ahead.. wherever you are, whatever you are doing in any moment.

Sandra.if said...

tantalizing and teasing...I love those words...!!

Jim said...

Hi Patti ~~ I am a week late, I do hope you will forgive me for that.
So anyway, I ran right over when I saw your avatar so I could make up a little.

I love this beginnings poem. It is perfect for the teacher. But you know what? I left NASA and the Space Program to teach.
At NASA a mistake could cause a launch to slip and some heads to roll, probably mine.
In teaching, if we have a bad year--did you ever have a class turn against you somewhat?--there is hope for the next year that we and it can be better.
A new beginning!
..

Anonymous said...

Beginnings I like...the newness, the fresh start, the pure possibilities...it is change that I struggle with....ok - here we go...lol