Sunday, August 29, 2010

Empty

I've been told
that my mind is like a "steel trap"
because I remember
so many things so vividly
that others may have forgotten
but~
this remembering is not always
a good thing...
For just once
I wish my mind was empty;
devoid of all the
memories
conversations
words
images
swirling around in my head-
constant reminders of you
and what you did
to make my heart
and my world
so empty-
yet...
my mind so uncomfortably
full...
You have chosen
to not be a part of my world
anymore,
so why do the memories and thoughts
keep plaguing me?
Why can't they just leave me alone
so I can understand
and heal?
I wish this "steel trap"
would just open up
and let it all go
so I can move on?
Empty would be good~
for awhile.

The prompt this week at OSI is "empty." Please check out others' responses to this prompt. My life has been anything BUT empty recently. School has started and filled up my days and nights with things to do. I saw 2 concerts last week (unheard of in my world)- Aerosmith on Sun. night and Donny and Marie Osmond (front row!!!!!) on Thurs. night (that deserves its own post). Fun times!!! Have a wonderful week and as always, thank you for your comments!

18 comments:

MLu said...

"Time heals all wounds." Some wounds in life may take a bit longer.

Nanka said...

Keeping mind empty to reflect and welcome fresh new ideas is great but discarding happy memories of the past just cuts you off.

Rumya said...

Happy memories are constant reminders of days gone by which have to be cherished instead of emptying the mind.

Harshad Mehta said...

Time takes care.

Nice words.

anthonynorth said...

I can feel the frustration in this. Great words.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know that feeling well, of wanting mind to empty itself of uncomfortable or useless memories, thoughts, rehashings of events. Vivid and well-crafted, your poem. Thank you.

SandyCarlson said...

Been there. You know, I know this feeling of being haunted. When I was dealing with it, I would open my phone and call a friend and listen to them tell me about their lives. And I would swim. And then I would deliberately change my thoughts. Wouldn't let the past creep in. Took a huge effort, but it was worth it. Be strong.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I often feel like my mind is in constant rerun and there just isn't relief. I'm continually amazed at how others let memories go and mine just swirl.
Gloria

Karin said...

Be strong...you have come so far already! Time heals all wounds....or at least it will not be an open wound anymore but covered with many layers of tough skin!!
Hugs!!!

Ramesh Sood said...

OK let me share.. may not appeal to many.. but when times like this come. get involved with Self Renewal Process as guided by Stephen Covey in Seven Habits.. I mean one can take a lead and do one's bit.. I am sure you are not in a hurry.. because all said and done.. memories .. godd and bad.. are part of daily living. only good also doesn't help .. becomes boring after some time.. well God bless take care.. enjoyed reading..and indeed writing too..

Tumblewords: said...

It's amazing how our minds latch on to something and refuse to let go - even though we plead and promise. Excellent work - sounds like you've been have a fun time and that's super!

Tammie Lee said...

this is a common experience for so many when someone leaves.... I surely have experienced this.

sounds like you are having fun, do enjoy

Amity said...

Hi Patti;

Am back! :)

This poem of yours is quite poignant! At some point in our lives, yes, we do experience these things!

I like the thoughts you shared here! Amazing thoughts Patti!

Re: cross stitch works of mine, I will share one by Sunday's OSI prompt! I hope you will like it! and even for succeeding posts if I can make a poem with it!

Have a nice day! :)

Relyn Lawson said...

Just wanted to say hey you. Oh man, can you ever write. How is the school year going so far?

Geraldine said...

What a poignant beautiful poem. A wonderful interpretation of this prompt.

Hugs to you Patti, G

PS: If you have time, stop by my cooking blog sometime:

www.veggiesyarnsandtails.wordpress.com

ms pie said...

ahhh yes, too bad we could not make an exchange of memories... like a second hand store.. memories others have discarded but still good for someone else... or how abt a disk scan... clear up those frags!!! delete, delete... but then again, w/o times such as these our lives and personalities would be oh so different... beautiful poem...

JUST ME said...

LOVELY as always Patti,

I live in the past a lot in my mind as well. Shoulda Coulda Woulda runs through my thoughts many a time many a day.

Have a wonderful day peace to you.

Angie

Jim said...

Hi Patti, this is good (writing).

MLu knows the answer. But it still doesn't all go away. I still have some of these:
"memories
conversations
words
images
swirling around in my head-
constant reminders of you
and what you did
to make my heart
and my world
so empty-


But not all; for sure my world isn't empty anymore. That part heals.
I worry about approaching an age where I forget things. Some of these I really don't want to forget. It's just a part of my world where I can no longer go.
(Go away little ...)
..