Monday, April 27, 2009

I don't know what "Spring" is like in your part of the world, but here in the Windy City it is totally living up to its nickname. Spring is supposed to be somewhat sunny with mild temperatures and moderate weather, right; perfect weather for flying kites...? Oh no! Not here! If it's not almost 85 degrees (with 110% humidity which goes fabulously with my hair and knee problems), it is 45 degrees. Oh yes- and all of this is accompanied by gale force winds and stinging rain! Between running after my decorations that have blown off the front porch to checking the severe weather alerts- I am enjoying a Chicago Spring. I know this up close and personal because I have been sitting out in all of this "gorgeous" weather watching Molly's soccer games. She is on the freshman team but also has been asked to play on the sophomore and varsity teams as well (her 10 years of experience is paying off!). That is a guarantee of at least 6 soccer games per week in any kinds of weather and if she's not playing a game then she's at practice.. Those of you with kids in sports know what I'm talking about. We're the Weather Warriors- out to support our children in any kind of weather because if they can play in it- we can certainly sit in it! Anyway- I am convinced with all of this rain that is turning brown into green, that we are living in either Ireland (without the hills and quaint villages and corner pubs) or Seattle (without the Puget Sound- that's in Seattle isn't it; and the little trendy shops, awesome musicians, and coffee)...but no...it's only Chi Town; Windiest City...home of the Infamous Blago!




This week's prompt at OSI is "word", thanks to Jeeves of of Silence is Poetic . Stop over at OSI to see others' interpretations of this prompt.

Words, words, words...we are bombarded with them constantly! Between talking,reading, listening, texting, music, media... we can NOT escape them! But who would want to entirely? They can be powerful, scathing and they can be endearing, and heartfelt. But one thing words definitely can be is misunderstood (both literally and figuratively).



























14 comments:

anthonynorth said...

I liked the way you did this. Excellent.

The Muse said...

Hello Patti !! Well I HEAR you...LOL talking about spring :) where did it go? I think it must have sneaked in and left while I slept! LOL

Your Ireland and Seattle descriptions are right on the mark!!

Quiet Paths said...

I really admire what you have done with this prompt. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Perfect for this prompt!

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, that conversation! Well done. This made me ache.

Beth P. said...

Hi Patti!
Thanks for this reminder about how easy it is to misunderstand...!

Speaking of which, make sure you put your URL correctly on my site when you comment--often it doesn't work, because there's 2 'http' parts! And I want other visitors to come find you and your cottage!

Thanks--

Beth P. said...

YEAH! It worked--I think you just have to always watch, because there is an 'http' already in the line...

Thanks!!

Jacqueline Dove said...

I thought this was great, our words being misunderstood such a common problem.

lissa said...

words can be misunderstood especially if you forgot your punctuations or pronounce them wrong

great job on this and thanks for your visit

Anonymous said...

So true, but even more so when written! Since I started blogging I've noticed that many times my comments have been misunderstood. It's not easy to convey meaning without the added benefit of inflection, lilts and tone found in the spoken words.

Polka Dot Moon said...

Perfectly said! And I'll trade you some windy days for some uber HOT days this summer ;) if interested I'll contact Mother Nature :)

Have a fabulous Thursday!!
Denise

zoya gautam said...

..so well phrased..many thanks indeed ..

Relyn Lawson said...

You. Have. TALENT!

Jim said...

Hi Patti, it's hard to undestand why our words are misunderstood. Other's maybe but not ours.
We are in Honfleur, France, for tonight and tomorrow night.
..