Thursday, April 30, 2009

I have been feeling very melancholy lately...tomorrow is my mom's birthday- May 1; she would have been 80 years old. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her terribly- it doesn't seem to be getting a lot easier lately either. What makes it hard is that last year, a very close friend's husband died on this day as well and I was very worried about my friend and helping her get through her tragedy. As a consequence we didn't really celebrate my mom's birthday and ended up celebrating around Mother's Day and lumping the two together. If I had only known it was to be her last birthday...
On the morning of the day before she died, when my sister and I got to the hospital, before she went into a coma, she sang "Happy Birthday" to my sister and me. I hold that memory so dear and I wish so badly she were here to sing "Happy Birthday" to. So, Mom, this one's for you wherever you are..."Happy Birthday Dear Mommy...Happy Birthday To You!"





My mom, Christmas 2007, surrounded by her granddaughters

7 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

Oh Patti,
I have no words, but am sending you ((((HUGS))))
and am so sorry for your loss.
Denise

beth said...

patti...memories are an amazing thing...hold on tightly to them and always remember that she can hear you singing !

Joanne said...

What a moving post. Some people just become a part of us, our thoughts and essence, always. Your mom sounds like one of those special people.

Ragamuffin Gal said...

Patti ~ What a beautiful tribute to your mother this post is and how sweet a memory from your mom when she sang HB to you. Just precious dear one!

Well, she would be glad to know how much happiness you have brought into other's lives. And I am thinking how lucky am I to be one of them! Blessings, Katie

The Muse said...

Dear Patti~what a loving and kind person your Mom must have been to raise a daughter such as yourself.

I am certain that your lovely memories and kind tribute to her, fill her spirit~even now.

Sending my thoughts and prayers and hugs across the space of this internet...in hopes you will not feel so alone.

JUST ME said...

Patti,

I agree with all the comments...She will always be in your heart and near you as well..

Peace to you my friend.

Cherish her memories.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Good Morning Patti,
After finding this post about your Mother's Birthday, I just wanted to add that it's never too late to start your own pillow of art with whatever treasures touch your heart.
Being a mom yourself, I think it would be wonderful to create something special of your life that your children would cherish forever.
Something drew you to my blog for a reason...and I really appreciate that you came.
Have no regrets girl...create something beautiful, starting today!!!!
everything vintage