Sunday, April 26, 2009

Oh Deer

"Like a child standing in a beautiful park with his eyes shut tight, there's no need to imagine trees, flowers, deer, birds, and sky; we merely need to open our eyes and realize what is already here, who we already are - as soon as we stop pretending we're small or unholy." —
Bo Lozoff

In a list of things that make me happy, seeing deer would rank up there. I know they are considered a nuisance and a problem in many areas, but there is just something about their velvet eyes and gentle expressions that seem to draw me in. Recently, I have been stopping in a forest preserve on the way to school to just randomly take pictures. There is a lake in one of the places I stop and it's always a surprise what I find there (and who as well...there are some unusual characters in these preserves early in the morning). One morning as I drove along the wooded road toward the lake, I could see some deer across the lake eating. I was thrilled because they always seem to run away when I see them from the car. So I parked and started taking some pictures of them from my jeep. I'm snapping away happily- from quite a distance and figured I got my shots of deer. I decided to get going and went to turn the car around and ...(see below)


...there not more than about 10 feet away to my left was a lone deer munching away contentedly. I almost laughed out loud but was afraid I'd scare it. Here I was craning to get some shots from across a lake and one was almost in my front seat. He (or she- no idea) posed for some pictures before he/she decided to wander away somewhere else...




On my way home from school that very afternoon there is a stretch of road with preserves on either side and I noticed that there was a herd of deer right along one of the little roads off the main road. So I quickly did a u-turn and pulled in to see what I could see. Below are a few pictures I took. The deer were cooperating quite a bit...







This picture I included because of the unusual knot on the tree making it look like an eye. Creepy!!!


















7 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Beautiful pictures you captured of the Deer. Regarding Artella, I've downloaded their FREE products, haven't put much of them to use in my blog work though.

beth said...

patti...I'm the same way, as deer never fail to make me smile...

we have so many of them out at the cottage, but they love to stay in the woods to check us out which makes it so hard to get a good shot of them...but every now and then in the early evenings, they'll come out and walk up the drive way and we stop...completely freeze...just to watch them !!!

GREAT PHOTOS !!

Polka Dot Moon said...

Wonderful pictures! How lucky you are to get to see such lovely creatures on your way to work!!!
Happy Monday!
Denise

Sheryl Dickinson said...

Great photos of the deer. I'm the same and so are my boys. Usually driving to my Mom's we see some and we know the places to always look!

Michelle said...

Oh I LOVE seeing deer. There is something so peaceful about seeing a herd together, how they stop and just stare in silence. A few weekends ago on our way to horsewback riding, my girlfriend and I saw a herd of elk!

Also, come on by my place, Patti I have an award for you (if you do awards). :)

Tammie Lee said...

I love seeing deer too. You have a great compilation of images here. I do no domestic gardening, just because I like to watch the deer and because I enjoy eating wild plants. That is amazing, the eye in the tree!

Jeeves said...

Lovely pictures