Monday, September 1, 2008

Ahhh- a day at the fair! Nothing symbolizes summer like a fair! Even though I live in suburbia, we live on the edge of farm country so we get the best of both worlds. Last weekend, Mike and I ditched the daughter and went to the County Fair (she had gone the night before). I love to go to take in the sights, sounds and of course the smells (nothing screams fair like roasted, spiced nuts!). It was a beautiful sunny warm (not too hot) day and it was very pleasant walking around, exploring, and people watching. It's interesting to see the different exhibits and to remember that farming and agriculture are such an integral part of American life. There is such pride with the 4H exhibits and the livestock and it is all quite serious business.

My dad was from a farming family and was the only sibling to leave the farming life and go to the Big City to become an educator, so I grew up visiting family up in rural Wisconsin on their farms. In fact, some of the furniture I have in my house today is from my grandma's farmhouse when she finally had to sell it and move to town. So I do have a soft spot for the farming life and agriculture and try to support it when I can!













I think the Chinese writing on this roller coaster says: "very creaky and shaky; ride at your own risk!"






Rodeo rider getting ready for the Rodeo!

No comments: