Growing up, my sister and I were carted around to every antique store in the
tri-state area of Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. We were constantly tiptoeing around dusty, musty stores and out of the way places that featured signs that said "if you break it it's sold" and "children need to remain with their parents at all times." Obviously we had NO business being in places like that and we grew to HATE antique stores and the wares that they held. So to find that I now choose to spend time looking for and paying for the type of stuff that Lisa and I got forced upon us (our childhood home was filled with antiques) as well as filling my home with some of the dreaded antiques we grew up with is really quite funny! On a recent Friday night, after a particular bad couple of days, Mike and I went to a nearby antique mall so I could look around for new treasures. The antique mall was pretty deserted;
ok, so we were the only ones there. The place is pretty big with 2 rather large rooms each with multiple aisles and lots of little "stores" and vignettes set up. After about 10 minutes, Mike got a little
claustrophobic and ducked out for air (and took pictures-the other ones posted) while I walked around. Now I LOVE scary, creepy stuff, but after walking around awhile my imagination was getting the best of me and I was feeling a little
creeped out with all the "stuff" and history around me; imagining things moving around, and dolls' heads
swiveling as I walked by; you get the picture... I was on my last aisle and about to leave...I bent down in one of the little booths to look at something near to the ground. When I stood up I almost screamed
because I was face to face with a face!! It was an old mannequin that was set up in the corner that I did not see when I entered the booth (hmmm...or maybe it really wasn't there when I entered the booth...). That was all it took to get me out of there and over to the checkout to go home! It totally serves me right though with everything I was thinking about- but it sure did startle me! Anyway- the things below are the things I found before the mannequin found me!

These are some flowers that Mike got me to cheer me up- they were beautiful!
Cute little floral birdcage that found a home out in our sun porch
I love these pillows!!! I love the colors and fabric (damask) They are totally reversible and the flap flips over to change the look AND they were on sale!

Gotta love hatboxes and dishes! I sure do! The hatbox has joined my collection in the bedroom. What to put in it? I am sure I will have no problem filling it with whatever. The dish is too cute- it has 3 sections and is in little chintzy looking roses. The
placemat underneath I actually found in July but had no price and the seller could not be contacted so they wouldn't sell it to me. It was still there- this time with a price tag- too bad there was only one!
Ahh- milk glass. 2 new pieces to add to my collection and an adorable illustrated book by Marjorie Bastin to pore over.
The top pictures are ones Mike took outside while I was busy scaring myself inside!
3 comments:
Patti,
Sorry about the head. I am giggling over here. I know it scared you but I could see my friend Jennifer doing the same thing and screaming if she saw the head. You got some great stuff. I did not know you loved milk glass. I love milk glass as well. Looks like you found some great stuff. It's if fun to go looking and you come home with some great stuff.
Yes that pink wicker swing would fit in perfectly.
Have a good one Patti.
Angie
Patti,
I hope the rain did not ruin your soccer weekend....
Angelica
Great finds - My parents owned an antique store and I grew up the same way and do the same thing now. LOL Who'd have thought?
Post a Comment